Advanced Higher English
Advanced Higher English*
Advanced Higher English is the highest level of study we offer, and we are delighted that participation in this demanding course continues to increase each year.
Is it for me?
You will enjoy this course if:
- You love to read.
- You enjoyed the challenges of Higher English and would now like to explore a wider range of texts and be introduced to literary theory.
- You are ready for further reading and a greater degree of independence in your learning, including choosing your own texts for your dissertation.
- You enjoy discussing, analysing and evaluating challenging texts in a collaborative environment with like-minded students and with your teacher.
- You enjoy writing creatively beyond the confines of the Higher folio, including experimenting with genre and style.
- You would like to experience a course which prepares you for the rigours of university study.
What will I learn?
You will develop skills and knowledge in:
- Using creative and critical thinking to synthesise ideas and arguments in written and spoken forms
- Planning, researching and decision-making
- Literary theory and advanced literary analysis
- Developing personal style and flair in your creative writing
What can I do with it?
- Advanced Higher English is a good preparation for undertaking a degree in Literature, Language or Journalism at university, or any other social science or arts course.
- The style of the course makes it a good introduction to the type of learning you will be expected to undertake at university.
- The course gives you access to a range of high-quality literature and texts of all kinds which we hope you will continue to enjoy into later life.
*Some adjustments have been made to the structure of courses in 2020-22 because of disruption caused by Covid-19