Higher English is one of the most sought-after qualifications in Scottish schools, and we are pleased to say that we present a large number of candidates for this every year. Success at Higher is much more likely for pupils with a good pass at National 5, as it is a considerably more demanding course.
Is it for me?
You will enjoy this course if:
- You enjoy different ways of working including whole class, small group and individual tasks.
- If you are ready to develop your independent work, including producing a writing portfolio which counts for 30% of the final grade for the course.
- If you are keen to learn more about some of the best texts produced by Scottish authors.
- You enjoy reading more challenging texts and writing about and discussing them critically.
- You enjoy creating and producing your own texts to a high standard.
- You are willing to read outside of the classroom.
- You are ready for strong focus on Reading for Understanding, Analysis and Evaluation at a challenging level.
- You are ready to sit assessments during the year and an exam at the end of the course.
- You are prepared to be assessed in Solo Talk over the course of the year.
- You are keen to progress to Advanced Higher English or apply to universities or employers.
What will I learn?
You will develop skills and knowledge in:
- Understanding, analysing and evaluating complex texts, including Scottish texts.
- Using creative and critical thinking to synthesise ideas and arguments.
- Developing and applying detailed knowledge about language.
- Planning, researching and decision-making.
- Creating, structuring and producing detailed spoken and written responses.
What can I do with it?
- Higher English is a good preparation for undertaking the Advanced Higher English course.
- Units at Higher can add to an earlier National 5 qualification.
- Higher English is recognised by universities and employers. Many university courses require a good pass in Higher English.
- The course gives you access to a range of high-quality literature and texts of all kinds which we hope you will continue to enjoy into later life.
*Some adjustments have been made to the structure of courses in 2020-22 because of disruption caused by Covid-19