Virtual pARENT'S eVENING aDVICE
As virtual parents evening are new to us we thought it important to establish some ground rules so that all participants are following the same protocol which should ensure everyone’s wellbeing.
- Conversations should take place in appropriate rooms eg kitchen, lounge, study and not in a bedroom
- All participants should be appropriately attired as they would be for a real life face to face meeting
- No conversations should be recorded
- If you are using a device with eg FaceTime or WhatsApp to enable both parents from different households to attend simultaneously please flag this up to the teacher as a matter of courtesy at the start of the conversation
- Both teachers and parents have the choice of using audio or video
- As in real life, your son/daughter is welcome to attend
- Please try to be on time as the slot times are not flexible at all and will start/finish exactly on time
- The first 30 seconds of each conversation allows for a short break for the teacher who will initiate the conversation at some point when they are ready during this time
Woodmill High School is often commended for the very positive, constructive relationships between staff and parents and it is important that this continues. Please note, therefore, that in the extremely unlikely event of verbal abuse, staff will end the conversation and refer the matter to the Senior Leadership Team.
Tips for troubleshooting
- Staff have checked their devices work so we hope all is well at our end.
- Please read the guide carefully beforehand to ensure you are using a suitable browser
- Try logging on up to an hour before - if you can’t see “Join Video Appointments” check as below
- The same parent who made the appointments MUST be the one to log in as the appointments are linked to his/her details only and NOT to the other parent.
- Check the names match exactly what we have on the system
- Check the email address - in some instances the system shows that parents are sharing the same email address which you may have forgotten
- Make sure your camera and microphone and volume are fully enabled in your settings and that you have allowed the system to access them
- Better sound is achieved if only one person speaks ( closely) to the microphone at a time
- If one party loses connection please just wait whilst they log in again - you should be able to resume
- If there is a sound /display issue try clicking the microphone/camera icon off and on again
- If there is still an issue try logging off and logging on again or try another device
- Keep an eye on your email/appointments in case the teacher has a later slot they could book you into
- If possible have a back up device ready for you to log on and use
- We cannot do any more on the night so please be forgiving in case of technical hitch. We are doing our best to make contact at this difficult time. If you miss a conversation the teacher will drop you an email you in the next couple of days